My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Pennine Way 2024
Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Monday 10 June 2024

Pennine Way 2024 - Day 7: Malham - Horton in Ribblesdale

 

Distance: 14.7 miles       Total:  105.12    (Tracklog: 13.05)    Steps: 29,740

Things seen: not much animal life but the Cove, the Pavement, the tarn, and Pen-y-ghent, make for an interesting day

-------------------------

Malham Youth Hostel was very comfortable, except for the herd of elephants in the room directly above mine. Herds of elephants really should not be allowed in youth hostels.

I set off by 8.30am and guess what, it was raining! During the morning the rain was intermittent,  sometimes heavy, sometimes light with the occasional gap. About 12 it stopped most of the time, just the odd shower, to annoy.
First stop was Malham Cove, always an impressive sight. Then a tramp up the endless steps to the limestone pavement at the top. This is also impressive in its way, clints and grikes,  but it is very slippery when wet and needs care.
Then a stroll around Malham tarn, that great rarity in Yorkshire, a natural lake. Then a steady trek to the foot of Pen-y-ghent, via Fountains Fell, at 668m (2192ft) itself not to be sneezed at.

When I got to to Pen-y-ghent it was raining again, and poor visibility. I looked at it and thought, maybe not today. I have been up it twice, and down it twice, and perhaps that is enough. So I walked round it and went down to Horton-in-Ribblesdale, and put the tent up in the campsite there. 

Malham Cove, an imposing sight

The limestone Pavement, with its clints and grikes. Very slippery, when wet!

A carved wooden hare, with the Tarn behind

And a fish... 

the summit of Fountains Fell, with a fine view all around

Pen-y-ghent - you climb up the sharp bit on the left. 


4 comments:

  1. That descent from Pen-y-Ghent to Horton in R, especially when wet, is to be avoided. A wise decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm sure it was.. so why do I still feel a little bit guilty?

      Delete
  2. No reason to feel guilty. You should congratulate yourself on making a pragmatic decision and be glad of that maturity. Anyway, I'm sure you've done Pen-y-Ghent before (and the PW.)

    ReplyDelete