My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Pennine Way 2024
Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Saturday 8 June 2024

Pennine Way 2024 - Day 5: Hebden - Cowling

 

Distance:  19.10  miles    Total:   72.22    (Tracklog: 16.77)    Steps: 38,257

Things seen: lots of birds.. more curlews, lapwings, kestrels and several unidentified types. One hare, sadly deceased.

-------------------------

Another long day.. whoever arranged this itinerary has questions to answer. However I got an early start, leaving my fine airbnb by about 7.45. Also this was as close as we have yet come to being a fine day. There was a brief shower mid morning, and a few spots of rain before, but then the sky cleared and the rest of the day was bright and sometimes sunny. Very windy, though.  En route to Top Withens, I came across a couple of other walkers, also a lady who was walking home to Bellingham.. a character, Natalie by name. She was staying at the Old Silent Inn, so I decided to have lunch there (sausage & mash, perfectly ok) while we chatted. I expect I may see her again. 

Then on towards Cowling and my summerhouse stay at Winterhouse Barn campsite. As is becoming the norm,  the last mile or two was slow and I got there about 6.30pm, still, not a bad effort for 19 miles, with two hours for lunch. 

Olwyn was as welcoming as ever, the summerhouse just the same as five years ago when I stayed there last. It is not palatial (no heat!) But it has a light, two beds and electricity. And it is dry, just as well since it began to rain soon after I arrived and has rained all night. There are two others here in tents (including Alex, who I met at Top Withens) who must have had a less comfortable time and now has a wet tent to deal with. 

Top Withens, the inspiration for the background to Wuthering Heights, allegedly

Ikornshaw Moor, a vast expanse of empty moorland...   a lovely place



The summerhouse at Winterhouse Barn. £15 a night, to you..

No comments:

Post a Comment