My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Pennine Way 2024
Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 30 May 2024

Pennine Way 2024: Preparation ..

 

I decided years ago that I would do the Pennine Way every five years, for as long as I could. The first time was in 2009, then 2014 and 2019, so this will be the fourth traverse, 2024, starting on Monday 4 June.

The first time I did it, I followed the official route completely, stile for stile. The second time, I felt able to fiddle with it a little to see new places, while still starting at Edale and finishing at Kirk Yetholm. The third time, 2019, I did it the other way round, starting at Kirk Yetholm and finishing at Edale. This time I am going to do it S-N again, I have not finalised the route but I am going to stick pretty close to the official one. 

I do a reasonable amount of walking - I run a local walking group - but lately, nothing close to approaching the effort required to walk 300 miles in one go. And I am not getting any younger, I am 74 this year. So a certain amount of tuning up is required. In March I started doing a few longer daywalks, 6 or 8 miles. Then when the clocks went forward, I did a three day walk with tent and backpack, walking about 50 miles over the three days with a 10kg backpack. The backpack makes a difference! But I did the walk OK, and my dodgy knees held up .. so I was well pleased, and somewhat reassured. Hmm, but that was it, still a bit nervous, but we shall see!

Now here we are with less than a week to go. What do I need to do, before I go?

1. Sort out the route. Done that now, and I have inserted a couple of rest days including one at Hebden Bridge, after day 3. I also have the tracklogs from 2014 and 2019 available to see where I went then ..

2. Sort out accommodation and travel. Done that, thanks to the wonderful Teresa and Mark at Ollerbrook Barn, I shall stay Sunday night in Edale and then set off, leaving the car behind for when I get back. Travel is booked from Berwick back to Edale on 22 June. Several, but by no means all, of the intervening nights have been booked. I intend to have a mix of nights in the tent, and more salubrious nights in B&Bs and hotels.

3. Sort out the backpack and equipment. Done that too .. I am not short of a bit of equipment but for this trip I have treated myself to some new boots, Hoka Kaha 2. I've been out in them a few times now and they are outstandingly comfortable. Also some new waterproofs, Ultimate Direction, very light at 180gm. I will do reports after the walk as to how they perform. In the meantime, my carry weight is now under 10Kg and I am very happy about that. I will try to post my kit list below.

4. Sort out the technology. Not a great deal to do here, I am totally digital now so really have no option but to pack a spare phone in the bottom of the rucksack, with a spare sim card that EE have kindly provided. My Samsung Galaxy S10+ has been completely reliable and I am confident it will be fine, but if it is lost, stolen, or dropped down a cliff I shall be able to switch to the spare and still complete the walk. The two together weigh less than a Cicerone guidebook. Paper is heavy!

5. Sort out the blog. Doing that now! My problem is that doing blog updates on the phone is quite awkward, and really not what I want to spend a lot of time on after a hard day walking. Still I will try to provide at least a brief update on a regular basis, and then spend a little time expanding them when time allows. 

So there we are, keen to get started but rather nervous, in particular as to whether my ailing knees are up to the challenge ahead. We shall see!


Here is my kit list: 

        Pennine Way 2024               
                       
                                                                    g
Basics   Rucksack [Zpacks Arcsoft]                  591
            Sleeping bag [Zpacks]                        818
            Sleeping mat [neoair xlite]                 480
            Thermarest inflation sack                     98
            cuben small sack                                 26
            Tent [Zpacks Hexamid]                      677

                                        Basics:                2,690
                       
Toiletries            Toiletries bag (inner)          214
& Sundries         Toiletries bag (outer)           46
                         Microfibre towel and cloth     55
                         Suntan lotion                       44
                         Washing powder                   50

                         Toiletries & Sundries:          409
                       
Equipment          Bits & bobs bag                                     162
& Documents      Sunglasses                                             82
                             Credit cards & cash                               40
                             Samsung S8+ phone (spare!)               173
                            25Ah charger + transformer & 2 leads    569
                       
                                                            Equipment:        1,026
                       
Clothing &       Rohan microgrid ziptop fleece (orange)      328
Waterproofs     Ultimate direction jacket                          232
                          Ultimate direction trousers                      142
Trousers            Rohan Escapers 34L                                 305
Base layers        Rohan Ultra Silver T (graphite l/s)            109
                          Rohan Ultra Silver T (royal blue s/s)         72
                          Rohan ultra silver knicks                          42
                          Rohan Aether boxers                                73
Accessories       Paramo hat                                                64
Socks,               Rohan Liner socks (x2)                              54
                          Rohan socks                                             49
                          Rohan socks                                             35
                          Rohan gloves mauve/black                        66
                       
                                                                Clothing:        1,571
                       
                                                          Base weight:        5,696
                                               
Food & Drink        5x water bottles 3.5l total          124
                                                    750ml water       750
                                                    500ml wine        500
                                            food total:               2,000
                       
                                              Food & Drink:        3,374
                       
                                                Carry Total:        9,070
        To Wear               
                       
        Rohan Fuse shiny jacket                    335
        Hoka Kaha 2 boots                         1,225
        Rohan GR Explorers 34L                    302
        Rohan Ultra Silver T (graphite l/s)      112
        Rohan Alpha Silver boxers                  69
        Rohan socks + liner socks                   75
        Rohan gaiters                                   190
        Step counter                                      37
        Penknife                                            78
        Rohan Ether walking poles (pair)        357
                                         To Wear:        2,780
                       
                Grand Total:        11,850

Apologies for the dodgy formatting..

I think I have everything I need. Still thinking about the gaiters, (in the end I took them, and used them a lot) but they are a useful part of being fully waterproofed, and useful for walking through, eg heather.

I am not taking any cooking gear, but might need to pop a mug in. (Didn't, should have!)

Overall the carry total is 500g less than my last traverse in 2019, and the grand total is 850g less, which I am pleased about.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment