My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Pennine Way 2024
Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Sunday 23 June 2024

Pennine Way 2024 - Day 19: Auchope Hut - Kirk Yetholm

Pennine Way 2024 - Day 19: Auchope Hut - Kirk Yetholm 

Distance:   7.4 miles      Total: 292.92 (Tracklog: 7.44) Steps:  18,222

Things seen: Free beer, and a certificate..

----------------------

I set off about 8.30am, with a better opinion of the Spine race and its volunteer helpers than I had before. Then one last challenge,  climbing The Schil, followed by a gentle trundle down into Kirk Yetholm. My fourth Pennine Way was completed.

All the usual photos, including "winning" the Spine race, my fourth certificate and a free half of beer 🍺 ... followed by a free pint of lager, courtesy of my friend Wayne. Thank you, Wayne! I hope to reciprocate before too long...?

After a (frankly mediocre) lunch at the Border hotel, I decided to try to get to Berwick-upon-Tweed, as it seemed a more interesting place to spend time waiting for my trains tomorrow. The advertised bus to Kelso failed to appear, but I got talking to two cheerful men who were being picked up by their spouses. When their car arrived, they offered me a lift to Kelso which I gratefully accepted. In Kelso there was an hours wait for the bus to Berwick-upon-Tweed. When it came, another pleasant surprise. My bus pass, which does not work in Scotland, does work on this trip because Berwick is in England. So I got all the way for no cost.
I got a room at the very nice Castle Hotel, near the railway station, and settled down for the evening with a warm glow, a nice glass of wine, and a bad back...

Me at The Schil  Even my lucky cap is showing its age...
 

It took me longer to persuade the phone to take this, than it took me to climb up there..
 
the Border country beyond Kirk Yetholm, which is hidden behind the mind in the middle

"Stranger unexpectedly wins Spine race"
 
Certificate No. 4

When I get home I will do one final post, lessons learnt, equipment update, health update etc.

1 comment: