My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Pennine Way 2024
Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 6 June 2024

Pennine Way 2024 - Day 1: Edale - Crowden

Monday 3 June 2024

Distance:  20 miles   (Tracklog: 17.34)   Total:  22.92        Steps: 40,359

Note: distances are taken from my stepcounter. If there are steep inclines involved, it can be a little optimistic as your steps get shorter. So I have put the tracklog mileage in as well... remember also that the stepcounter records everything from getting out of bed onwards, not just the PW route.

Things seen: 1 hare, 1 frog, 1 friend with beer.

People overtaking me: dozens. People I overtook: 2, both severely overweight. 

-------------------------

I was expecting this to be a hard day, and it did not disappoint. By the time I reached Bleaklow Head I was pretty tired, so seeing my friend Wayne with beer was extremely welcome. Still a long descent to go, down to Torside reservoir, and even then more than another mile to the Crowden campsite, which I reached at 8.45pm having started out from Edale at 9am.

The kind manager at the site took pity on me and let me sleep in one of their pods, see photo below, so I was able to lock up my stuff and scoot into Glossop with Wayne for something to eat. 

It was a long day but I got there! 

 
the sheep on Kinder are very tame and inquisitive...

Kinder reservoir. The weather was cloudy with occasional showers, but it did not rain much.

 

Trig point at Kinder Low.

https://cf.bstatic.com/xdata/images/hotel/max1024x768/326341533.jpg?k=335b78f0b14be65a260c4ac221ab537645039d6b39963eabb937f619c00c40ce&o=&hp=1

 A camping pod, similar to the one I had, though no furniture in mine  

No comments:

Post a Comment