My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 27 August 2015

HRP Day 51 Chalet-Refuge des Cortalets - Mines de Batere

Thursday 27 August 2015

I left the Cortalets refuge about the usual time, 8am. Weather again looked very promising, and the view from the refuge was interesting, a mass of cloud below!

After a pleasant walk around the Canigou massif, I reached the refuge at les Mines de Batere about 3pm. This is a rather eccentric place, which cannot seem to decide if it is a refuge, a gite d'etape, or a hotel. Still, I have a room to myself and it has hot water and an electric plug, so I am not complaining. It even has wifi, after a fashion. . It is erratic,  and you have to go to the far end of an empty room to access it, but often it does work.

And dinner was excellent. I was sat opposite another Englishman,  Reg, who is from Portsmouth but was born and brought up in Coxheath. He is doing the GR10, so I may well see him again. He can talk, but he is not uninteresting,  He had an operation for prostate cancer in April and says he has to get home soon to find out if it was successful! He was in lescun when I was but found he had developed a hernia so hitched down to Oleron-Saint-Marie and bought a truss! It is rather impressive that these events have not stopped him walking. We had a good chat about the Pennine way which we have both done twice. 

Four days left

view from the Cortalets refuge
the remains of a British Dakota aircraft which crashed into Canigou in 1961. Three such disasters in the 1960s cost over 100 lives. 
Refuge de Batere. The further half of the building is derelict

No comments:

Post a Comment