My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Wednesday 19 August 2015

HRP Day 43 Refuge du Rulhe - L'Hospitalet pres l'Andorra

Wednesday 19 August 2015

The weather today is supposed to be good. So I get up early, am ready for breakfast when it begins at 7am, and am gone by 7.30. Before I go I tell Calou the Refuge guardian that last night's dinner was the best so far, which is no more than the truth, at least as far as the refuges go. Saucisson soup, boef Bourguignon, and a home made tart of impressive delicacy. Not bad at 2,200m.
There is some cloud about when I set off but it looks promising, and indeed it turned into a fine day. It has still been a rough one though, with a lot of difficult rocky terrain and a very long, seemingly interminable descent to L'Hospitalet. The guide book says: "This fourth section of the HRP ends with a nice walk along numerous lakes in Andorra & the Haute Ariege. The HRP pays a brief visit to Andorra & leaves Andorra at the Port de I' Albe. From there on, the HRP stays in France for several days. Today there is a lot of rough terrain to negotiate, especially on the French side of the Port de I' Albe & on the way to Collada de Juclar. The climb to Etang de Joclar is extremely steep & requires a little care."

Couldn't have put it better. I reach l'Hospitalet about 5pm, so about 9hrs walking. I am in the friendly gite d'etape  and looking forward to a much needed rest day tomorrow.

nice to be above the cloud, not in it or below it
it's warm in the sun, but can be surprisingly chilly until you reach it 
lots of this today: clambering over rocks
 
not an alien spacecraft, but a pluviometer, for measuring rainfall
wild raspberries. Who knew this is where they originate? Lots of them, and bilberries too. 

magnificent scenery
L'Hospitalet from above. The mountain behind is vertical. If ever a village needed avalanche protection, this is it

No comments:

Post a Comment