My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Monday 9 September 2019

Pennine Way - Travel to Kirk Yetholm

Up in time for breakfast at 7.30am, then a leisurely stroll along to Edale station to catch the 10.24 train to Sheffield, where I will change onto the East coast main line train to Berwick- on-Tweed. It was pouring with rain, so full wet weather gear was needed for the 1 1/2 mile walk to Edale station.  The train was 5 minutes late arriving but got to Sheffield bang on time. The train to Berwick - actually going to Glasgow - was exactly to time as well. It's been a good day for the railways.
There is no easy way to get from Berwick to Kirk Yetholm, or rather, there is, but it will cost you. I booked a taxi with Chris Hownam (Hownam Taxis, Google it) and he was there to meet me. This must be a great place to be a taxi driver.. empty roads, nice people, and no real competition from buses etc.
It has rained on and off today but it has been dry here in the Kirk. The b&b is comfortable and I had a lovely meal in the Border Hotel.
Both the previous times I've done the PW I was given a certificate and a free pint by the nice people in the Border Hotel and I was a bit worried about this time, starting from there. However they happily gave me a blank certificate for the pub in Edale to fill in, when I get there.
I will try to keep the updates going but it may be a couple of days before the next one, not much mobile coverage in the Cheviots.
For obvious reasons the photo gallery is a bit thin today but I do have a couple:
Chicken Balmoral at the Border Hotel.. whisky sauce and a bed of haggis mash. 


Tbe obligatory photo at the Border Hotel, this time to prove I started, rather than finished..





2 comments:

  1. Whisky sauce and haggis mash. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that my email address would appear, but it didn't, so I'll just mention that this is john_dun commenting. john0dunleavy@gmail.com

      Delete