My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Saturday 14 September 2019

Pennine Way day 5: Bardon Mill - Alston


Saturday 14 September 2019
Miles: 19.8
Total miles: 89.4

A second day in succession with no rain, yay!

It was supposed to be 17 miles to Alston, so where tbe extra 2.8 miles comes from I am not sure. There was one unfortunate incident where I tried a promising shortcut that came up short and I had to retrace my steps... I think the rest comes from tracking across pathless moors and wandering around Alston looking for a meal.. no joy, Alston apparently likes to party on a Saturday night. But my Spar ready meal was surprisingly edible. Spot of red wine too and all for less than £10.

Still, today was a good day with some fine views and pleasant walking.  For much of tbe day I followed Isaac's Tea Trail.. easy walking and fun, with teapots turning up in unexpected places. Isaac Holden sounds to have been an interesting man.

I am back on the official route now and will follow it tomorrow except I will not go down to Dufton but instead will cut across the moor to High Cup Nick and camp there. It will be another long day that includes climbing Cross Fell, at 893m the highest point on the Pennine Way. Tbe next day goes to Middleton-in-Teesdale. I have a rest day in the bank, and might use it then.. we shall see.

Looking back at Allendale from the huge Mohope Moor

Isaac's Tea trail, miscellaneous teapots 

Even tbe waymarks are interesting!

A herd of goats! Not like Buttercups of course but they were very friendly. 

The river South Tyne .. there is a river North Tyne too



No comments:

Post a Comment