My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Wednesday 11 September 2019

Pennine Way day 2: Mozie Law - Byrness

Wednesday 11 Sept 2019
13.2 miles
33.2 miles total

Gosh what a night! Apparently it was the remains of some hurricane or other. I could believe it because the wind howled, and it rained most of the night. I spent a lot of it hanging on to the tent to stop it blowing away and not a great deal of sleep was had. Scary stuff!

It was supposed to clear up by the morning and sure enough, by 8am the rain had stopped and there was sun. I set off and walked four miles or so along to the Yearning Saddle hut where I sat for a little while and had breakfast (granola, milk & yoghurt).
Then set off again and walked steadily to Byrness. It took longer than I thought, partly because it was still very windy, partly because it was further and hillier than I had thought it was.
Got to Byrness about 4pm, not having seen a soul since I woke up. Only three people yesterday, the Cheviots are not overcrowded!
Byrness is a tiny village with a youth hostel and a single b&b, the Byrness Hotel. Kate was very welcoming and I had a fine beef casserole for supper.
I like the Cheviots, they are very wild and pretty, but they are hard going at times and this was a challenging first couple of days to my walk. I shall sleep well tonight

Very hard to convey how wild and majestic the Cheviots are

The Yearning Saddle hut, complete with rucksack and poles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment