My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 19 September 2019

Pennine Way day 10: Tan Hill Inn - Hawes

Thursday 19 September 2019
Miles: 19.0
Total miles: 167.8

Quite a lot of faffing about at Tan Hill getting breakfast,  settling up etc and did not get away until 9am. Tan Hill is what it is, I am glad it is there but I would not recommend an overnight stay.

Fairly easy, not to say familiar, trek down to Keld and then on to Thwaite over a more difficult stony path. A quick rest there, and on to start climbing Great Shunner Fell; which is very big. It takes quite a long time to go up, and even longer to come down again to Hardraw, and on to Hawes. However the views are wonderful. With Wensleydale one side and Swaledale the other, you can't go wrong.. I took a video but unfortunately it is too big to post here, apparently. Photos (below) will have to do

Anyway I got to Hawes in one piece, and am checked into Cocketts Hotel, and a very fine place it is too. Old, characterful and very comfortable. At £48 b&b it is a crashing bargain.

Pen-y-Ghent tomorrow, and I am planning to go off-piste a bit and wild camp up on the hill.

Weather update: it was warm and sunny all day today. Sun protection measures were required. The forecast for tomorrow is also good.. not sure, but I think this might be the fifth or sixth day with no rain. I am pleased but wary and fear retribution, idc.

West Stonesdale, with Swaledale in the background

Looking down on Keld, in Swaledale
Ahead are the lower slopes of Great Shunner Fell... the summit is to the right, out of picture. In the flesh, it looks very imposing. 

A view from the top of Great Shunner Fell.

Approaching Wensleydale

The river Ure, near Hawes, principal river of Wensleydale 

This is Tristan, a fellow N-S Walker. He is 20, he starts at Loughborough university on Friday next week and he has £50 with which to reach Edale before then. Really nice young man. 


No comments:

Post a Comment