My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 16 July 2015

HRP Day 9

Thursday 16 July
14.8/125/425

I was a bit concerned yesterday's exertions might have a knock - on effect, but my legs felt OK, when I set off about 7.30am. The first couple of hours or so were all climbing, followed by a fine walk across various cols and hills, then down to the refuge at Belagua, long closed and now a ruin. Here I had lunch (soup with 2 handfuls of rice added), raided a stream for more water (which had to be treated) and set off for the main event, a long climb through a bizarre karst limestone landscape.

About half way up the sky suddenly clouded over, and thunderous rumblings began. This was not an ideal place in which to have an electrical storm, quite exposed, but I couldn't go back so I just plodded on and in the end it didn't amount to much, just a few huge raindrops and a lot of grumbling.

I eventually reached the top (2050m) about 8pm, and then walked down into the Vallon d'Anaye to find the source Marmitou, another natural spring as good as yesterday's. There was a Spanish girl there, and two young English men, named Mark and Max. Marmitou is a lovely spot, but seems short of flat places for tents, so I spent the night trying to avoid sliding downhill.

I have carefully avoided mentioning any of my walking equipment, in case it tempted fate, but fate has taken a hand anyway. . today one of my walking poles snapped. The bottom six inches just fell off! Since I was half way up a mountain at the time, I carried on using it as best I could, but later another piece broke off and so I am down to one now. This is unworkable, since I depend on the poles to protect my knees and for balance on difficult terrain. Also, the poles double as tent poles so no pole, no tent! I will have to see what can be done when I get to lescun tomorrow. .

Far views are all around, at present
Beginning the climb towards the col d'Anaye 
as you get higher, the vegetation becomes sparser
this photo I took in 2013 at nearly the same spot as the previous photo. . a great deal of snow that year! 
There is still the odd patch about, even now
the col d'Anaye. . nothing left but rock

No comments:

Post a Comment