My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Tuesday 28 July 2015

HRP Day 21 Gavarnie - Heas

Tuesday 28 July 2015

A lovely day today, very enjoyable, which is especially nice to write, considering that it starts off with a1000m climb!
I left Gavarnie (1390m) about 8 am in swirling mist and cloud, and climbed steadily to the refuge d'Espuguettes (2030m) where I sat for a few minutes and ate some yoghurt and fruit bought in Gavarnie. While I did so the cloud obligingly shifted, so that above me was clear blue sky and sun.  Then another steady climb up to the col, the Hourquette d'Alan. Then a long descent to the lac Gloriettes, partly along the pleasant bubbling stream that feeds it, the Gave d'Estaube. The descent gave me a chance to properly try out my new walking poles, and they are certainly an improvement.  After that it is a bit of a slog along the road to Heas, but now I am here at the Auberge de la Munea. The auberge sadly is full, but I am booked in for a meal this evening and my tent is up in the field next door.
Tomorrow another big climb to the lacs de Barroude, another of the iconic spots of the Pyrenees.

just climbed up through that! 
Friendly donkeys at the refuge d'Espuguettes. This one happily ate my banana skin, then tried to root around in my rucksack looking for more. 
Looking back down at the refuge d'Espuguettes. The well-known Breche de Roland is visible above it
here it is, a bit closer, the refuge de Sarradets faintly visible just in front and below it
Gave d'Estaube 
lac des Gloriettes 
relaxing outside the basic but pleasant auberge de la Munea 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you still have time to do the daily Times crossword? And let's have another look at that lovely nose!

    ReplyDelete