My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Monday 27 July 2015

HRP Day 20 - Rest day in Gavarnie

Monday 27 July 2015

A restful, if rather expensive, day in Gavarnie today. I bought some food, a nice pair of Leki walking poles and a pair of trousers too. I have had trouser issues, having badly ripped one pair on some barbed wire, and there are two small holes in the other pair caused during the Nose incident. Later I will try to repair the small holes, but the other pair, as they are zip-offs I will bin the bottom parts and keep them, at least for the time being, as shorts.
Other jobs include clothes washing, and equipment review (done), food shopping (done), bringing the blog up to date (done) and sorting out the route for the next section, from Gavarnie to Salardu - next. The first two sections (of five) are now completed, so I am roughly 40% of the way there. Tomorrow, on to Heas! 

It is fashionable to sneer at Gavarnie, and it can get crowded with tourists, especially at weekends. But it is a cheerful, friendly place, with a full range of facilities, and a fantastic location. The Cirque de Gavarnie that looms over the village is truly stunning, I am very fond of the place.

Gavarnie high street, with cirque (slightly cloudy) behind. 
The comfortable hotel Le Marbore, where I'm staying

No comments:

Post a Comment