My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Hebden bridge update day 5 - Pendle Hill's Big End

Today I drove to Pendle in Lancashire to climb Pendle Hill. It's only about 18 miles - England's much narrower up here. At 557m (1830ft) it is an impressive lump, bigger than anything around hebden bridge. There are some intriguing names. . the summit, where the trig point is, is called the Big End. And below, as it were, is a hamlet called "Buttock." Really. 

Since the hill is effectively stand - alone, and surrounded by industrial towns like Burnley, Colne, Blackburn etc, it is quite a popular place and I saw a number of people. The weather was kind, and, sunny and not windy even on top. There are really spectacular views all around, with the lake district to North and west, and the pennines to the east. 

 It is quite a stiff climb and ploughing up the steep hill in t shirt and sunglasses, it felt very Pyreneesy. I managed the climb quite well, so I think this little excursion has been worthwhile. I am learning to cope with this stupid little keyboard too. .

Back home tomorrow and prepare in earnest for the Linton Cream Teas. . I will do another post next week about final preparations, if I get time. 

View from the summit, looking back at the South Pennines. Some clever person has painted the trig point in the colours of Burnley FC. 
This big lump is not Pendle but the Moor next door, Spencer Moor. That footpath looks challenging
A boundary stone near the summit
Upper Ogden reservoir, which is fed by Ogden Clough, sounds like someone out of coronation street

No comments:

Post a Comment