My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Sunday 14 June 2015

Hebden Bridge Update - day 3: A magical day

I came to hebden bridge to do lots of what I can't do in Kent, ie climb big hills. So the first thing I did when I got here was to look over the maps for the highest spot around, and that is Lad Law. It is 517m  (not 507 as I said yesterday) or 1700ft.

According to the maps there is only one path to the summit, on the far side from here and too far to walk so I set off in the car to have a look. .  after a while I came to the Widdup reservoir, it is a very scenic spot with a nice car park attached so I stopped there and looked at the map.. not too far from Lad Law, seemed doable, so I set off.

To cut a long day short, I had a wonderful time wandering over the moors, sometimes a path and sometimes not, but always on the roof of England, with amazing views and hardly any other people. I stopped by some rocks and cooked a gourmet meal  (heat water, add some rice and a stock cube). As I was doing so a man came past wearing a mac and ordinary shoes; he said he came here twice a week but as it was raining he was going back now. . but it wasn't raining. . surreal. No wonder we need mountain rescue teams. I didn't see anyone else.

In the end I walked only about 8 miles, but it is hard going through the heather and peat bogs, finding your own route, and it felt like a lot more. But altogether it was a lovely day, perhaps the photos will explain why better than I can!

Widdup reservoir
In the distance, Lad Law
The Dove Stones.  Well, some of them. .
Phone camera not really doing justice to these wide views. .

Ready to cook. .The stove at front right (it weighs 8gm ) cooking pot and windshield behind, rice, spork and pot cosy to the left. Well under 1/2 lb all told.
A selfie on top of lad law, clinging to OS trig point

No comments:

Post a Comment