My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Sunday 4 October 2020

Edale 2020, Day 5

 Thursday 17 Sept

16,546 steps, 8.25 miles

Wayne had to go back home on Wednesday evening, but I had one more day in Edale. After a look at the map, I decided to drive over to Ladybower reservoir, and walk up to Alport Castles. As you will see, Ladybower is a very scenic area. Alport Castles are just grassy mounds, except for The Tower which is .. well, more of a tower, really.

 

Setting off from the car park. Lots of vistas and glimpses of the reservoirs ...

.. but nothing like this, which I had to borrow from Pinterest. Right at the left is the edge of the Kinder Plateau. The big lump in the middle is the ridge I walked along to get to Alport Castles, which can't yet be seen.


Up on the ridge now. To the left is the Snake Pass, with Kinder Plateau beyond

Alport Castles

The Tower

It is quite steep to climb...

But evidently it can be done! I didn't try, but next time, maybe..

On the way back down now

The Cheshire Cheese, between Hope and Edale, highly recommended

On the next morning, it will be time to drive back home so this brings my little stay in the High Peak district to its end. Nearly always, I go walking on my own; so being with Wayne this week was quite a departure for me, and very pleasant it was, too. I expect I will still carry on hiking alone, but Wayne is an excellent walking companion, and I will very happily do this again some time in the future. Thank you, Wayne. I put on over a kilo this week, but with all the walking we did, I just can't think why...

I should also mention that Wayne is a demon with the GoPro camera. He has done lots of videos, each one better than the last.  You can see them here, including two that were taken during this week. If you subscribe to his Trek Mate channel, he will hopefully become rich and famous..

As for the Peak District, there is no better walking area that is nearer to Kent. And not many anywhere.. I don't think I really was able to convey just what a magical place the Kinder Plateau can be. Edale is a cheerful, busy tourist resort, like many places in Derbyshire. But once up on the plateau and away from the main routes, it becomes a haven of peace and calm amidst a very unusual and different environment. Not perhaps to everyone's taste, what with all the bogs and heather, but I love it. I will go back again, I don't think we ever did find that elusive Kinder Summit ..




 

 

 

 

 

 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment