My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 13 July 2017

Snowdon Day 6

A rest day in Conwy.

Despite a lie in being the favoured option, I woke around 6 and sauntered about sorting out washing, showering, blog updating etc. until breakfast at 8am. Breakfast was fabulous, and confirmed Bryn as being a really top class guest house. I had also not realised, when arranging the walk, just how historic and interesting a place Conwy itself is. It has a lovely quay, a truly splendid c13 castle and an almost complete set of  fortified town walls erected by Edward I. So I set off to walk around them, of course, and explore the old town they encompass. I was amused by some of the information boards dotted about which said - translated into plain English - that the magnificence of the fortifications said as much about the stubborn bolshieness of the Welsh, as it did about the wealth of the English. Words to that effect, anyway and indeed the walls and castle are magnificent today. I cannot recommend Conwy, or indeed the Bryn Guesthouse, highly enough.

The rest of the day spent catching up on Times crosswords, (thank you Alison for letting me print them off!) and trying to work out how to read the guide book backwards, which I will have to do for the rest of the walk as it assumes I am starting from Machynlleth. 

part of the town walls, taken from the garden of the Bryn guest house!
.. and the guest house, taken from the castle wall
The town, the estuary and the castle, taken from the same spot 
on the quay. The red thing is allegedly the smallest house in Britain
Conwy castle, still as awe-inspiring today as it was built to be
The Conwy suspension bridge, built in 1826 by Thomas Telford. The structure to the right is a tubular railway bridge built in 1846 by Robert Stephenson.. not quite so scenic, but even rarer. Unique in fact

No comments:

Post a Comment