Unfortunately i had not discovered the delights of Blogger when I did my 2009 or 2014 traverses. So neither of these are recorded here.
For the first visit in 2009, I followed the official route, path for path, stile for stile, in its entirety. For 2014, I felt entitled to fiddle with the route and so I did:
- I went over to Crowden via the Ladybower and Derwent reservoirs, then up the Derwent valley and over the moors to Crowden. SO much better than boring Jacob's Ladder.
- From Crowden, up to Chew Reservoir and on via Saddleworth and the Diggle Hotel. Then on to Hebden.
- From Lothersdale, I went over to Skipton, and up to Kettlewell, and then over Great Whernside and Buckden Pike and down to Aysgarth, then over Buttertubs and to rejoin the PW at Hawes. A big deviation, this, but such fun! I recommend Great Whernside and Buckden Pike to anyone, SO much better than the boring and busy "three peaks" Whernside.
- After Hawes, I followed the official route like a good boy as far as High Cup Nick. But then, camped at Hannah's Well and straight over the moors to Knock Old Man, and then on to Garrigill (Oh, that corpse trail! I see how it got its name :-)
From Alston, not via Greenhead but along the River North Tyne and then up and over Mohope Moor and via the Isaac's Tea Trail to Bardon Mill. Then up to and over the Wall, and onto Bellingham etc.
These diversions involved quite a lot of pathless moors and dodgy paths. Perhaps they wouldn't do for the official route. but for a solo walker they were brilliant.
There is a Photo Gallery here that will provide more detail. Don't do the slideshow, instead click on a photo and display the information too, most of them have comments attached...
High Force, impressive waterfall ..
Cauldron Spout, impressive man-made waterfall..
No comments:
Post a Comment