My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 13 July 2017

Snowdon Day 5

Bethesda - Conwy, 22.1 miles

Today was a long day, furthest distance so far, but the weather was really good, warm and sunny, which was very welcome after two wet days. And although the route never went high, much of it was very pleasant, grassy country with fine sea views. A good day.

I had intended an early start but didn't wake until 6.30am and by the time I left, it was 8am. I set off steadily and was soon up on a grassy, sunny down, dotted with sheep.  Lovely to walk on springy turf for once, instead of gravel or tarmac. After a while the sea came into sight, with some impressive views out over Conwy Bay and the Irish Sea. All very enjoyable. 

Next came the Rhaeadr valley, including the impressive Aber Falls, allegedly 37m high. The vertical drop looked less to me, but it was still quite a sight.
Having gone round, down and started up the far side, I stopped at a farm to ask for some water.. I was able to inform them that a sheep and a hen had got out onto the road and were making their escape (eloping perhaps?! I doubt their if parents would approve of the relationship) so they got some reward for their kindness.
Then on over the moors of the northern Carneddau range, more nice springy turf interspersed with gorse and heather. Then finally Conwy came into view, with its truly immense wind farm beyond, and after a seemingly endless approach, finally I arrived in Conwy, to a cheerful welcome at the Bryn Guesthouse.

The Bryn is a substantial Victorian house with spacious rooms and high ceilings. It was immediately clear that I was going to like staying here - no detail overlooked, everything just so, and Alison could not have been nicer. I nipped out to a local pub for something to eat, then collapsed on the fine double bed in the knowledge that for the first time in a week, it didn't matter when I woke up. 

looking back on Bethesda. Looks better from a distance.. note the vast heaps of slate waste
pleasant downland, with the Glyder peaks in the distance.
Several groups of horses. Presumably intended for meat, but at least they have a nice life in the meantime (rain permitting!)
A big bird.. a buzzard I think, but a huge one.
can you see the two waterfalls? They are more than a mile away
The Aber Falls. Quite noisy and impressive up close, but hard to photograph.. the bottom half is missing!

haven't you always wanted to know what this phrase is, translated into Welsh?
Conwy Bay and wind farm. Conwy itself is visible in the dip right of centre

No comments:

Post a Comment