My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Saturday 7 September 2019

Pennine Way Preparation


.. When you are steadily approaching 70, a 300 mile walk over hilly terrain is not to be taken too lightly; so I have had to do a few things to help me get ready.

First, physical preparation .. I am reasonably fit anyway and do a fair amount of walking. Still I have spent a couple of weeks in the Peak District and in the Calderdale area of Yorkshire in order to find some steep hills, boggy areas and heather moorland and negotiate them as best as I could. Whether that will prove sufficient, we shall see but I am feeling pretty good at the moment.

Second, routes and so forth. I have 1:25,000 OS maps on my phone and I have drawn a route, which is similar to the official Pennine Way trail but not quite identical. It does differ in a few places, as the following blogs will show. Also I have copied the route below. I'm doing this for the third time and I think a little license is allowable. I have also booked a few things .. a night in Edale and a night in Kirk Yetholm, rail passage between the two, and a night in Byrness. I haven't booked anything else, after all I will have a tent :-)

Third, equipment. I have an equipment list from each of my last two trips along the PW, in 2009 and 2014. The first time I was carrying 14Kg. The second time, 11Kg. This time, I am carrying 9.2Kg. I have copied the equipment list below. We are clearly heading in the right direction, although of course I could carry a lot less if I booked up every night's stop and so managed without a tent etc. And less still if I employed a firm to transport the baggage for me! One day it might come to that, I suppose; but not yet.

Future updates will be via my phone and will probably be briefer and less grammatical ..
  



Pennine Way 2019 Equipment












                            g
Basics
Rucksack [Zpacks Arcsoft]
591


Sleeping bag [Zpacks]
818


Sleeping mat [neoair xlite]
480


Thermarest inflation sack
98


cuben small sack

26


Tent [Zpacks Hexamid]
667





total: 2,680







Toiletries
Toiletries bag 
(inner) 290
& Sundries Toiletries bag
(outer) 46


Microfibre towel and cloth
55


Suntan lotion

44












total: 435







Equipment Bits & bobs bag

215
& Documents Sunglasses

69


Steripen Freedom 86


Credit cards 

25


Samsung S8+ phone (spare!) 173


25Ah charger + transformer & 2 leads 586


Certificate!

25











Equipment:
1,179







Fleece
Rohan zip fleece (Orange)
318
Waterproofs Rohan Elite jacket

322


Ultimate Direction waterproof trousers 122
Trousers
Rohan Escapers

295
Base layers Rohan Ultra Silver T (graphite l/s) 112


Rohan Ultra Silver T (royal blue s/s) 72


Rohan ultra silver knicks
42


Rohan Aether
boxers 79
Accessories Paramo hat

64
Socks,
Rohan Liner socks (x2)
54


Rohan socks (x2)
86






















Clothing:
1,566











Base weight:
5,860














Food & Drink 5x water bottles 3.5l total
124


750ml water

750


500ml wine

500









food total:

2,000











Food & drink:
3,374











Carry Total:                
   9,234


To Wear












Rohan microgrid fleece (navy blue) 369


Brasher Supalite boots
1,440


Rohan GR Explorers 34L
296


Rohan Ultra Silver T (graphite l/s) 112


Rohan Aether boxers
79


Rohan socks + liner socks
75


Trekmates gaiters
187


Step counter

37


Casio altimeter watch
93


Penknife


102


Rohan Ether walking poles (pair) 348




To Wear:
   3,138











Grand Total: 12,372g





















                           Pennine Way 2019 - Itinerary




















08 September
Drive up to Edale
09 September
By train from Edale to KY
10 September
Start PW
11 September
Auchope Hut - Byrness
12 September
Byrness - Bellingham
13 September
Bellingham - Bardon Mill
14 September
Bardon Mill - Alston
15 September
Alston - High Cup Nick
16 September
High Cup Nick - Middleton-in-Teesdale
17 September
Rest morning in Middleton then walk to Blackton Bridge
18 September
Blackton Bridge - Keld
19 September
Keld - Hawes
20 September
Hawes - Horton-in-Ribblesdale
21 September
Horton-in-Ribblesdale - Malham
22 September
Malham - Lothersdale
23 September
Lothersdale - Hebden Bridge
24 September
Hebden Bridge rest day
25 September
Hebden Bridge - Standedge
26 September
Standedge - Crowden
27 September
Crowden - Edale via Kinder Scout
28 September
Home to Kent  






























There is an album of photos, here (including those ones!) from my 2014 walk


































































































































































































































































My beautiful Z-Packs tent



















High Cup Nick, one of the highlights of the Pennine Way




























































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment