My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Thursday 19 September 2019

Pennine Way day 9: Middleton-in-Teesdale Tan Hill Inn

Wednesday 18 September 2019
Miles: 19.2
Total miles: 148.8

Set off about 9am, a bit late because the Teesdale only does breakfast from 8. Felt much better for my day off, and basically just ploughed onwards. No great highlights really, except for passing through Low Birk Hatt, where Hannah Hauxwell lived. If you are not familiar with Hannah's story do Google it.. she was a remarkable woman, a true heroine I think.
After that there is a great long boggy moor to negotiate, where I did have a close encounter with a Chinook helicopter that came straight over my head, about 50ft up. I also met a very nice lady called Mary who started from Edale the same day I started.. and we were very close to the half-way point of the Pennine  Way. I am officially past the half-way point now. Then you get to the A66, near Bowes. Next comes Sleightholme Moss, also quite boggy and quite long, then finally you reach the Tan Hill Inn.
The THI is famous and also quite eccentric. I have been here many times.. I remember bringing daughter Charlie here when she was about six... and I have a very soft spot for it. It does not do to be too critical so I will not say too much about this latest visit... running the highest pub in England, with no mains services at all, can't be easy. I have food and a bed, that is the main thing.
One of these eccentricities is a very strange wifi system that is preventing me from loading any photos.. so might have to wait till I get to Hawes tomorrow to post this.


Sheep in pens at Middleton livestock market

Clove Lodge, officially the half way point of the Pennine Way. I stayed the night here, ten years ago.  

Looking across the moors.. the line on the horizon has Tan Hill on it, somewhere

Mary, who started from Edale the same day I started from KY.

There was lots of helicopter action.. this Chinook came right over my head about 50ft up

Tan Hill Inn


No comments:

Post a Comment