My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Sunday 7 June 2015

Hebden Bridge Update - Day 1: Heptonstall graves

Here I am in Hebden Bridge, after an uneventful drive up the A1 from Kent. I am here for 5 days and will be doing an update each night using my phone, to see what problems there might be. . So I expect there will be typos and layout problems galore.

I am staying at the Thorncliffe B & B and very comfortable it is too. Run by two ladies, very friendly.

Having settled in I set out to walk up to Heptonstall, only a three mile round trip, but with plenty of uphill - it is hardly possible to go anywhere in these parts that hasn't. This must be the hilliest town in England. Heptonstall has a number of unusual features,  including two churches side by side, one now a ruin. Between them they have more gravestones than I have ever seen in one place. . Seven centuries worth, in a place that clearly wasn't all that keen on cremations.  Row upon row, with others laid flat and acting as flagstones.

The weather has been fine today, warm & sunny, but rain is forecast for tomorrow. Ah well, what will be will be. I have a longish walk planned, c 16 miles and the computer says, more than 1050m of ascent, which is pretty much up to pyrenees standards.

Old church and graveyard, Heptonstall 
One of the better - known inmates,  Sylvia Plath 
A view across Calderdale. Stoodley Pike obelisk can be seen in the distance. Close up, to come tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment